Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Little Lady Will Be Turning 7

I cannot believe that in just 15 days my little baby girl will be turning 7 years old.  I remember like it was yesterday, contracting in the rinky dink Labor and Delivery ward that was Fort Bliss Army Hospital, crying my eyes out waiting to get into an exam room and watching other pregnant women walking by me on a tour of the L&D wing.  I remember getting so many stares because of how much pain was showing on my face.  Contractions hurt people, so yes, I'm going to cry.  I remember my mother looking at them saying, "This will be you soon!" Haha, she showed them. 

I remember being in the exam room for all of 5 minutes when they finally said, "Yup, this baby is coming." I looked at them with a confused look on my face.  Clearly I was thinking, "Ya think?" About an hour later my mother got a call from my husband asking where we were. He thought we were going to Walmart to walk around and jump start my contractions.  I still to this day do not know how he did not see me doubled over in pain, with tears running down my cheeks, as a sign of me NOT being in labor. Men. 

After my mother informed him of where we really were, he got in the car right away and drove over.  When he got there he asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were in labor?" Ugh, men.  Needless to say, I did NOT answer that question. 

A couple of hours went by and eventually my husband got hungry, but since the cafeteria at the hospital was closed he had to go down the road to Burger King.  By the time he got back he ended up walking into the room with doctors and nurses surrounding me telling me to push. What an idiot. He just HAD to go get food. I wasn't allowed to eat, so why should he be allowed? Makes no sense to me. 

Finally, after 5 and a half hours of labor and pushing, my baby girl arrived.  I remember seeing her little face and tiny toes and I could not help but cry tears of happiness, joy, and love.  She was so beautiful and tiny and perfect. 

I looked at my husband and saw the same tears running down his face.  She was everything he had wished for.  The next day Ed brought our son to finally meet his little baby sister.  He was so happy.  You could tell he was excited to be a big brother. (Oh, how times have changed on that front) 


She has grown into a beautiful little woman, packed with personality, sassyness, kindness, a smile that lights up a room, and hugs that warm you to your soul. I am so proud of my baby girl. 

So, for her birthday, I will be making a layered confetti cake with pastel icing. There will be different colors between each layer and will totally reflect her crazy and outgoing personality.  

For decoration, I'm envisioning a lot of pink. Pink tablecloths, pink streamers, pink, pink, pink...  

Last year I taped a clear plastic sheet to her door and stuffed it with balloons so when she opened her door there was a balloon avalanche. It was funny.



She loved it and was completely surprised. This year, I have to top it.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment